- WASTE, HIGH-LEVEL (i) The highly radioactive liquid, containing mainly fission products, as well as some actinides , which is separated during chemical reprocessing of irradiated fuel (aqueous) waste from the first solvent extraction cycle and those waste streams combined with it. (ii) Spent reactor fuel, if it is declared a waste. (iii) Any other waste with a radioactivity level comparable to (i) or (ii). WASTE.
- WASTE, LOW-LEVEL Waste which, because of its low radionuclide content, does not require shielding during normal handling and transportation. WASTE.
- WELL DETECTOR Special type of counter in which the detector is shaped in the form of a well to contain the sample whose radioactivity is to be counted in nearly 4p geometry.
- WESTCOTT CROSS-SECTION See cross section, effective thermal.
- WIGNER EFFECT Displacements of atoms from their positions in a crystal structure by radiation. NM.
- WILZBACH LABELING See labeling, Wilzbach.